Flowserve Corporation Mechanical Engineer - Structural Analysis in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
If a culture of excellence, innovation and ownership is what you’re searching for, consider putting your experience in motion at Flowserve. As an individual contributor, or as a leader of people, your enterprise mindset will ensure Flowserve’s position as the global standard in comprehensive flow control solutions. Here, your opportunity for professional development and industry leading rewards will be supported by our foundational commitments to the values of people first, integrity and safety. Thinking beyond opportunity and reward, at Flowserve, we are inspired by working together to create extraordinary flow control solutions to make the world better for everyone!
SCOPE OF DEPARTMENT
The Applied Structural Mechanical Analysis team is part of the global operating department of Global Engineering Services within the Flowserve Corporation. The team performs in depth structural mechanical and rotor dynamic analysis on all product lines of Flowserve, including valves, pumps and seals.
The analyses are done for both internal customers during R&D, product upgrades, order acquisition/fulfilment and for external customers in the aftermarket.
Flowserve has restructured the engineering organization to a centralized global organization. In this organization, Global Engineering Services delivers high specialized services to all Flowserve’s business units in the following areas: Fluid Flow, Structural Mechanics, Materials and Product Compliance.
SCOPE OF POSITION
The Engineer Applied Structural Mechanical Analysis performs structural and rotor dynamic analysis and reviews for order engineering, product development and for R&D for all Business Units and products. This includes optimization of the mechanical product design in accordance with customer specifications and requirements, national and international standards and internal procedures. The engineer performs mechanical and rotor dynamic analysis in all phases of the project, including input for detailed design. The key objectives are accuracy and quality of the results as well as the on-time delivery of said results. The engineer is the technical specialist on applied structural mechanical analysis for the product lines.
Responsibilities & Requirements: • Perform structural and vibration engineering analyses on the products (including pump, hydraulic turbine, valve, seal and including the auxiliary equipment) in order to judge the adequacy of the design in relation to the applicable design requirements and for R&D activities.
• Execute the impact of the design modification of components on the structural design.
• Define critical dimensions of products and components.
• Executes different types of mechanical analysis and reporting, including torsional and lateral analysis on products, such as pumps and skids.
• Perform structural and thermal analysis of pressure vessels and rotating equipment
• Carry out finite element analysis (FEA) of machine components, sub-assemblies and related support structures to determine stress, strain and, where necessary, natural frequencies, un-damped and damped
• Review and evaluate customer specifications and supplier quotations related to technical acceptability of the mechanical design.
• Assess FEA results against customer specifications, industry and Flowserve design standards and procedures for fatigue life and dynamic stability
• Submittal of high-quality contractual documentation in accordance with customer/industry code requirements, such as ASME and present/discuss the results of the analysis with customer/stakeholders
• Compile design reports in compliance with ASME Section III and VIII Divisions 1, 2 and 3 code requirements
• Plan, direct, coordinate and perform the structural engineering activities in accordance with customer requirements, company’s objectives and policies and within the established project budget and timeline
• Perform evaluation utilizing classical methods of structural analysis, thermal analysis
• Manage structural design activities, such that optimum cost effectiveness is obtained between quality, design, and manufacturing, while ensuring that the engineering design standards are adhered to.
• Conduct or participate in Root Cause Analysis in order to define corrective and preventive actions.
• Technical lead of R&D projects dedicated to modify and develop product upgrades
• Develop design tools for product design modification
• Automation of the design and analysis process to improve the analysis time
• Provide management with accurate and informative reports and evaluate the results of project assignments along with appropriate recommended course of action.
• Participate in improvement and standardization activities such as Green Belt, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma to improve the operational performance
• Share information, knowledge and experience within Flowserve.
Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering.
8 or more years in applied structural mechanical analysis, specifically rotating equipment.
Background working within a customer oriented working environment.
Knowledge of complex pump/seal/valve design.
Knowledge of hydraulic drawings.
Fluent in the English language.
Extended knowledge of Microsoft office programs, 3D modelling software (SolidWorks), Finite element analysis packages (ANSYS) and ERP systems.
Knowledge/working experience with ASME Section III, VIII Divisions 1, 2 and 3
Carry out a sense of energy, ownership and personal commitment to the work and the overall work environment.
Reliable in fulfilling obligations and consistently meets deadlines.
Encourages others to be accountable for commitments in their areas of responsibility.
Able to communicate at all levels in the organization.
Ability to motivate people and to continuously improve the safety culture and awareness.
Self-motivation and drive to meet schedules.
Preferred Experience / Skills:
Experience with Root Cause Analysis.
Knowledge of valves, seals and centrifugal pump applications in various industries power, petroleum and pipelines.
P.E. license is highly preferred
Job Advertising Title: Mechanical Engineer - Structural Analysis
Primary Posting Location: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania US
Job Posting Category: Engineering/R&D
Employment Type: Full time
Country: United States
Auto req ID: 51506BR
Flowserve is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment decisions without regard to race, gender, disability or protected veteran status. Click here to learn more. Flowserve will also not discriminate against an applicant or employee for inquiring about, discussing or disclosing their pay or, in certain circumstances, the pay of their co-workers Click here to learn more.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you have the right to request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access www.flowserve.jobs as result of your disability. You can request a reasonable accommodation by sending an e-mail to email@example.com. In order to quickly respond to your request, please use the words "Accommodation Request" as your subject line of your email. For more information, read the Accessibility Process.